Women fatally affected by toxic shock after wearing tampons and cup

This week in the French press, we heard about Sandrine Graneau, 36, who had to have both her feet and parts of her fingers amputated after toxic shock while wearing a menstrual cup.

This happened less than a week after another story broke out in France, after a young woman, Maëlle, 17, died from the same Toxic shock syndrome caused by a tampon.

These two cases in just a week attracted the attention of the British Press , raising the issue of whether women are informed enough on the matter and the conditions in which such a reaction can happened.

Dr. Leila Frodsham, Consultant Gynaecologist and Spokesperson for the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists explained that even though these cases can be shocking, Toxic shock syndrome is a rare condition.

It is caused by bacteria getting into the body  and releasing toxins which tends to cause a high temperature, flu-like symptoms and feeling or being sick.

She also gave some advices on how to prevent the toxic shock from happening, ensuring that using a tampon with the lowest absorbency – suitable to a woman’s flow- and changing them every four to eight hours would be the safest precaution.

She also added that tampons are generally very safe and this rare condition shouldn’t be a reason for women to stop using them.

Be the first to comment on "Women fatally affected by toxic shock after wearing tampons and cup"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.